Skip to main content

Housing: Construction

Question for Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

UIN 134643, tabled on 28 March 2018

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, pursuant to the Answer of 9 March 2018 to Question 130480 on Housing: Construction, in the event that (a) a local authority does not have enough brownfield land left to meet their objectively assessed need and (b) neighbouring authorities cannot meet their unmet need would a Local Plan that does not meet objectively assessed housing need be passed by a Planning Inspector.

Answered on

19 April 2018

The draft revised National Planning Policy Framework, published for consultation on 5 March, makes it clear that plans will be found sound by a Planning Inspector only if they provide a strategy which will, as a minimum, meet as much of the identified housing need as possible. To do that they should make effective use of the land they have.

As well as using brownfield land and working with neighbours, local planning authorities should explore all other options such as under-utilised employment and commercial land and minimum density standards where appropriate.