To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what support the Government is providing to Zimbabwe to ensure that the 2018 elections in that country are free and fair.
5 February 2018
DFID is providing £5m of new funding for civil society organisations helping Zimbabwe build a more democratic electoral process in the run-up to and following the 2018 elections. This includes:
- Empowering citizens and civil society to hold the state to account and to call for changes to the electoral commission and legislation to better represent the people
- Improving the electoral environment, for example by helping people to register to vote, including women, and those with disabilities
- Supporting civil society organisations to monitor elections, including around issues of security, human rights and equality
- Improving observation and monitoring of voting to ensure it is free and fair
- Surveying voters to find out more about the voting process and what is preventing people from registering to vote.