Skip to main content

Social Security Benefits: Disability

Question for Department for Work and Pensions

UIN 124885, tabled on 24 January 2018

To ask Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, with reference to the letter from the Financial Secretary to the Treasury to the hon. Member for St Helen's South and Whiston of 15 December 2017, whether a child in full-time education may claim disability benefit in their own right from the age of 16.

Answered on

29 January 2018

Young adults aged 16 and over can claim and receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in their own right regardless of whether they are in any form of education, training or work. An appointee can make a claim on the young adult’s behalf where they are unable to handle their own affairs.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.