Skip to main content


Question for Home Office

UIN 108350, tabled on 17 October 2017

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what provisions she has put in place for people who grew up in care and are unable to provide a birth certificate when applying for a passport.

Answered on

30 October 2017

Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HM Passport Office) needs to be satisfied with an applicant’s claim to nationality, identity and entitlement to issue a passport. The absence of a birth certificate in itself does not preclude the issue of a passport and applications are assessed on a case by case basis considering the information and alternative documents available.

Where no documentation is available, there is provision within the British Nationality legislation for a person to register as a British citizen, this will depend on the requirements for registration.

If the enquiry relates to a specific case, I would encourage my honourable friend from Torbay to write to HM Passport Office to discuss how the matter can be resolved.

Answered by

Home Office
Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.