Skip to main content

Road Traffic Control

Question for Department for Transport

UIN HL1697, tabled on 2 October 2017

To ask Her Majesty's Government what obligations there are for a local authority to consult in the case of a planned road or traffic measure which will affect general access to a public amenity such as a park.

Answered on

16 October 2017

For permanent measures affecting the use of a road, the local highway authority making the order must consult certain specified bodies and "other organisations (if any) representing persons likely to be affected by any provision in the order as the order making authority thinks it appropriate to consult". There is no obligation to consult the public directly the authority must publicise its proposals by publishing a notice in a local newspaper at least 21 days before making the order. The authority must also ensure that adequate publicity is provided to those likely to be affected.

For a temporary order, no consultation is required but the order making authority must notify certain specified bodies such as the chief officer of police. The authority must also publicise proposals for temporary measures by publishing a notice in a local newspaper at least 7 days before making the order. For a temporary notice, which has a shorter maximum duration, there is no requirement to publish in advance and the same specified bodies must receive notification no later than the day on which the notice is issued.