Skip to main content

Immigration: EU Nationals

Question for Home Office

UIN 2234, tabled on 29 June 2017

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, with reference to the policy paper, The United Kingdom's exit from the European Union: safeguarding the position of EU citizens living in the UK and UK nationals living in the EU published on 26 June 2017, what unilateral action the Government plans to take to provide EU nationals living in the UK with residency rights on failing to secure a reciprocal agreement on citizens' rights with the EU.

Answered on

10 July 2017

It is the first responsibility of a Government to protect its own nationals, including those living overseas. Therefore in the current negotiations with the EU on citizens’ rights the Government is seeking to ensure reciprocity. The Government will work with the EU to reach a deal which is fair and right. In view of the unanimous support across Europe for guaranteeing citizens’ rights we are positive about a deal being reached.

Answered by

Home Office