Skip to main content

EU Nationals: Health Insurance

Question for Home Office

UIN 71489, tabled on 20 April 2017

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many citizens from other EU countries with the right to reside in the UK before 29 March 2017 do not have private medical insurance.

Answered on

25 April 2017

EU nationals have a right to reside in the UK for more than three months if they are workers, self-employed, jobseekers, self-sufficient persons or students, are a family member of an EU national or have acquired a right of permanent residence in EU law. Under EU law, self-sufficient persons and students are required to hold comprehensive sickness insurance. The Home Office does not hold any information on the number of citizens from other EU Member states who do not have comprehensive sickness insurance.

Answered by

Home Office
Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.