Skip to main content

Social Services

Question for Department for Communities and Local Government

UIN 64733, tabled on 21 February 2017

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, how much (a) the Government and (b) local authorities in England spent on adult social care in each year since 2010 by region.

This answer is the replacement for a previous holding answer.

Answered on

1 March 2017

Local authorities spend on adult social care is financed through locally raised and retained income such as Council Tax and Business Rates and from centrally distributed revenue streams, such as the Better Care Fund, Revenue Support Grant and specific grants to local authorities and other organisations.

It is not possible to estimate all the elements of spend that go towards providing care from of each of these central government funding streams.

Information on adult social care spending by each and all local authorities in England is published on the Department’s website:

DCLG has not produced statistics at regional level since 2012, as per Ministerial Statement:

Answered by

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.