Skip to main content

Visual Impairment

Question for Department of Health

UIN 59949, tabled on 13 January 2017

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what assessment his Department has made of potential changes in the level of support for families where children or young people suffer from vision impairment or sight loss so that they can receive habilitation services.

Answered on

19 January 2017

The Children and Families Act 2014 requires local authorities to work with children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND), including those with visual impairment, and their parents to develop a Local Offer of the services they have or expect to be available. It is for local authorities, in consultation with children and young people with SEND and their families, to decide which services they offer in their area, which can include habilitation training.