Skip to main content

Criminal Proceedings: Prosecutions

Question for Attorney General

UIN 57705, tabled on 14 December 2016

To ask the Attorney General, what processes there are by which (a) local residents, (b) victims of crime and (c) others can challenge a decision by the Crown Prosecution Service not to prosecute a criminal case; and if he will make a statement.

Answered on

22 December 2016

Victims of crime can challenge a Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) decision not to prosecute their case, under the Victims’ Right to Review (VRR) scheme. A local resident may be eligible if the individual comes within the scheme’s definition of ‘victim’.

Further guidance about the VRR scheme can be found here:

The CPS also operates both Feedback and Complaints schemes to deal with concerns about legal decisions which do not fall within the scope of the VRR scheme.

Answered by

Attorney General