Skip to main content

Councillors: Redundancy Pay

Question for Department for Communities and Local Government

UIN HL2869, tabled on 1 November 2016

To ask Her Majesty’s Government whether exit payments may be made to councillors when a councillor loses office or is no longer required to undertake specific duties within a local authority.

Answered on

17 November 2016

The rules on councillors’ allowances are set out in the Local Authorities (Members’ Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003. The rules are clear that allowances are paid on a pro rata basis should a councillor lose office or, is no longer required to undertake a specific duty, during the course of the year. The rules make no provision for allowances to be paid as a result of loss of office or no longer performing specific duties. Any such exit payments would therefore be unlawful. Whilst I am aware that the last Labour Government proposed legislation to facilitate such 'golden goodbyes' (DCLG, The Government Response to the Councillors Commission, July 2008, p. 22), we have no plans to amend the law in this respect.