Skip to main content

Migrants: Private Rented Housing

Question for Home Office

UIN HL7365, tabled on 23 March 2016

To ask Her Majesty’s Government, in the light of the letter from Lord Bates on 21 March following the Report Stage of the Immigration Bill, which states that "migrants who do not understand whether they may qualify for permission to rent may contact the Home Office to establish whether this is the case", whether they will provide a reference to guidance on how migrants can contact the Home Office department or team who will deal with such requests, including requests to confirm that a "right to rent" exists in cases where documents are with the Home Office.

Answered on

12 April 2016

Under the Right to Rent scheme, landlords must check the immigration status of those renting, to ensure they are here legally. Where a migrant’s documents are with the Home Office, landlords can confirm the right to rent through the Landlords Checking Service using the migrant’s case reference number.

In some limited circumstances, such as where there are genuine obstacles to them leaving, migrants here without leave may be afforded permission to rent although disqualified from renting. Where a migrant is unsure as to whether they qualify for permission to rent, they may contact the caseowner or team that is dealing with their case or ask when they attend the Home Office in compliance with reporting conditions.

Guidance on right to rent and when permission to rent may apply is available at As I wrote recently, the Government is reviewing the guidance that has already been published and this will provide further detail on how migrants may make these enquiries.

Answered by

Home Office