Skip to main content

Question for Home Office

UIN 31653, tabled on 17 March 2016

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many personal importation licences have been granted to EU citizens travelling to the UK with cannabis-based medication in each of the last five years.

Answered on

23 March 2016

No personal import licences for cannabis based medication or any other schedule 1 substances have been granted in the last five years for either EU or non-EU citizens. Cannabis and preparations of cannabis are controlled Class B drugs under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and listed in Schedule 1 to the Misuse of Drugs 2001 Regulations (MDR).

The Home Office operates a policy of issuing personal import licenses, in limited circumstances, to those travelling with controlled drugs listed in Schedule 2 – 4 (Part I) of the MDR and which are prescribed for personal use. This policy does not apply to Schedule 1 substances.

Answered by

Home Office
Interests declared
The Member has declared that they have interests which may be relevant to the subject matter of this question.