To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many doctors were working in hospitals in the West Midlands in (a) the first quarter of 2010 and (b) the latest period for which figures are available.
1 February 2016
Data is not available in the format requested.
The number of full time equivalent (FTE) doctors working in the Health Education West Midlands area in the first quarter of 2010 and the latest period for which figures are available is shown in the table below:
Number of FTE doctors
First quarter of 2010
All Hospital and Community Health Service (HCHS) doctors (Including locums)
All HCHS doctors (non locum)
Consultants (including Directors of public health)
Other doctors in training
Hospital practitioners and clinical assistants
Other medical and dental staff
All HCHS doctors (locum)
Consultants (including Directors of public health) (locums)
Other doctors in training (locums)
Hospital practitioners and clinical assistants (locums)
Other medical and dental staff (locums)
Source: Health and Social Care Information Centre, Provisional National Health Service HCHS monthly workforce statistics
- ' 0 ' denotes more than zero, less than one
- It should be noted that the structural change in the NHS that took effect as at the 1st April 2013 impacts on how organisations in existence prior to April 2013 can be allocated to the new Health Education England (HEE) regions. The main impact is in those areas where regional organisations have altered their boundaries, for example London Ambulance Service serves all three London HEE regions but is allocated wholly to the Health Education North West London region. These statistics include every hospital and community health services doctor working in the West Midlands HEE area in any trust type.
- Statistics also relate to the contracted positions within English NHS organisations and may include those where the person assigned to the position is temporarily absent, for example on maternity leave.
- These figures may include a small number of doctors who are working in a non-hospital location for example an ambulance trust.
- Provisional monthly NHS workforce data figures may be revised from month to month as issues are uncovered and resolved. The monthly workforce data does not include Primary care staff or Bank staff.