Skip to main content

Occupational Pensions

Question for HM Treasury

UIN 13407, tabled on 26 October 2015

To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what steps he is taking to ensure that employers use the correct pension classification code and pay their due amount as contributions.

Answered on

3 November 2015

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) publishes detailed guidance for employers on the GOV.UK website about National Insurance Contributions category letters.

All employers with an occupational pension scheme receive a reference number (Employer Contracted-Out Number) from HMRC. This allows the employer to use specific category letters which indicate that they are paying contracted-out contributions when they make their Real Time Information returns to HMRC. There are also automated checks in place to identify if an incorrect category letters has been used and these are then followed-up with the employer.

Answered by