Skip to main content

Children: Disability

Question for Department for Education

UIN 12434, tabled on 19 October 2015

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, if she will make it her policy to require local authorities to publish data on (a) the number of families with disabled children in their area, (b) how many such families access short breaks provided by the local authority, by category of break, in each local authority area and (c) the levels of short breaks provided in each such area.

Answered on

22 October 2015

Local authorities are already under a duty under the Children Act 1989 to maintain a register of disabled children in their area. It must be open for any disabled child (as defined in section 17(11) of the Children Act 1989) to join the register, whether on their own request or through their parents.

Since 2011, local authorities have also been under a duty to provide a range of short break services and to publish a local Short Breaks Duty Statement showing what services are available; how they are responding to the needs of local parent carers; and how short breaks can be accessed, including any eligibility criteria.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.