Skip to main content

Employment and Support Allowance: Medical Examinations

Question for Department for Work and Pensions

UIN 7160, tabled on 14 July 2015

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will make an assessment of the availability of doctor's appointments for employment and support allowance assessments in (a) the UK, (b) Wales and (c) Caerphilly County Borough area.

Answered on

20 July 2015

Claimants attending Employment and Support Allowance assessments are seen by a Healthcare Professional who may be a fully qualified occupational therapist, physiotherapist, nurse, or doctor. Certain medical conditions however, have been designated as requiring a doctor’s assessment, for example: stroke, head-injury, multiple-sclerosis, motor neurone disease, Parkinson’s disease, muscular dystrophy and, spina bifida.

The Centre for Health and Disability Assessments is able to provide doctors to assess designated doctor-only cases in all parts of the country.