Skip to main content

Social Rented Housing: EU Nationals

Question for Department for Communities and Local Government

UIN 5576, tabled on 3 July 2015

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, how he intends to prohibit (a) social housing providers and (b) housing associations from accepting as residents citizens from other EU countries who do not meet the criteria of a four-year residency before accessing social housing.

Answered on

7 July 2015

The Government will introduce a new residency requirement, so that EU migrants cannot be considered for social housing unless they have been living here for at least four years; and made clear that this would be taken forward as part of wider EU treaty negotiation on welfare changes.

Answered by

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government