Skip to main content

Question for Department for Energy and Climate Change

UIN HL296, tabled on 8 June 2015

To ask Her Majesty’s Government in respect of which areas (1) they have granted licences for exploratory drilling in relation to fracking, (2) applications have been made for such licences but have not yet been determined, and (3) applications have been made for planning permission relating to exploratory drilling for fracking.

Answered on

16 June 2015

Petroleum Exploration and Development Licences (PEDLs) are not specific to shale gas. They grant exclusive rights to extract hydrocarbons, including shale gas but also other forms, within a particular onshore area. A separate consent is required before any drilling or hydraulic fracturing (fracking) can take place. So far the Government has granted hydraulic fracking consent for shale to Cuadrilla’s Lancashire operations.

The Oil & Gas Authority does not have any undetermined consent applications. Applications for new PEDLs under the 14th Onshore Licensing Round are being considered – 95 applications for 295 licence blocks have been made.

Planning permission is a matter for the local Mineral Planning Authority. However, the applications submitted by Cuadrilla in Lancashire and by Third Energy in North Yorkshire are in the public domain.

Answered by

Department for Energy and Climate Change