To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what proportion of children (a) in receipt of free school meals, (b) with a statement of special educational needs, (c) from a BME community and (d) looked after by a local authority received a place in a grammar school in January 2013.
9 February 2015
The Department for Education does not hold information on pupils who received a place at a state-funded selective school but does hold information on the number of pupils enrolled in year 7 in state-funded selective schools in January each year. The figures for January 2013 are given in the table below.
Year 7 pupils in state-funded mainstream schools in England, January 2013
Number of pupils
Of which, percentage enrolled at
(a) Pupils known to be eligible for and claiming free school meals
(b) Pupils with statements of special educational needs
(c) Pupils from a black or minority ethnic group
(d) Pupils who were looked after for at least 12 months in the year ending 31 March 2013
Source: School census and national pupil database
- Includes pupils who are sole or dual main registrations.
- Numbers are rounded to the nearest 5.
- A small number of looked after children records collected from local authorities could not be matched to pupil records in the school census.
- These figures exclude:
- pupils who received an offer of a place which was not taken up;
- pupils who enrolled in state-funded selective schools, but left the school roll before the school census day in January; and
- selective schools which do not have pupils in year 7.