To ask Her Majesty’s Government what plans they have to introduce measures to combat Islamophobia in the United Kingdom.
12 February 2015
This Government has done more than any other to tackle anti-Muslim hatred:
- We have set up the first ever cross-government working group on anti-Muslim hatred which was established to consider and take forward proposals to tackle anti-Muslim hatred. The Group engages with Muslim communities and advises Government on how best to take forward key priorities;
- Provided start-up funding to the Tell MAMA initiative to record incidents and support victims of anti-Muslim hatred;
- Established a UK Srebrenica Memorial Day which recognises the fatal consequences of hatred and division;
- Run social media workshops to build the capacity of community organisations to use social media effectively;
- Held 8 integration roadshows with communities to find out what more Government can do to integrate communities and tackle anti-Muslim hatred. Further roadshows are planned throughout 2015;
- Following the attacks in Paris, My Right Honourable Friend the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government and I wrote on 16 January to mosques across England reassuring them of Government help if they experience anti-Muslim hatred. The Department has also assured faith and community leaders of its support to their commendable efforts to foster mutual understanding and shared respect;
- Proactive engagement with the police to combat anti-Muslim hatred;
- Initiated roundtable discussions with representatives of Muslim communities, including Imams and Muslim youth leaders;
- Regular ministerial engagement and attendance at Muslim community events.