Skip to main content

Access to Work Programme

Question for Department for Work and Pensions

UIN 215832, tabled on 25 November 2014

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether an Access to Work claimant has to be paying class 2 national insurance contributions in order to qualify for the scheme as a self-employed person.

Answered on

28 November 2014

In order to be eligible for funding through the Access to Work programme customers must satisfy certain eligibility criteria. One of these criteria is that they are employed or self employed. For Access to Work purposes, self-employment is defined as:

• operating a business either alone or in partnership, or working for an employer on a self-employed contractual basis;

• operating a franchised business on a self-employed basis;

• paying Class II or class IV National Insurance contributions.

• If the applicant is over retirement age (and therefore no longer liable to pay National Insurance) AtW staff will seek to determine that the person is self-employed by requesting a business plan approved by a bank or other financial authority.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.