Skip to main content

Teachers: Recruitment

Question for Department for Education

UIN 212887, tabled on 3 November 2014

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, how many trainee teachers were recruited in the initial allocations to School Direct in each subject to (a) primary and (b) secondary schools in each of the last four years.

Answered on

10 November 2014

The academic year 2013/14 was the first time School Direct information was available in the Initial Teacher Training (ITT) Census.[1] The information is published online at:

Information from the 2013/14 ITT Census shows that 6,580 new entrants were recruited to School Direct initial teacher training places. Of these, 2,890 (44%) were recruited to primary places (i.e. primary schools) and the remaining 3,690 (56%) to secondary schools.

The 2014/15 Census will be published on 27 November 2014.

[1] There was a small number of School Direct providers in the academic year 2012-13; however the data was aggregated for publication.