To ask Her Majesty's Government what are the present British armed forces deployments to (1) Lithuania, (2) Estonia, and (3) Latvia, in support of NATO commitments; and also to Finland.
8 July 2014
The UK has put in place a significant and comprehensive package of measures to demonstrate our commitment to NATO and collective defence and to reassure our Eastern Allies.
The UK has no planned exercises or deployments in Finland, however we have recently completed or are participating in the following exercises in the Baltic region;
• Exercise STEADFAST JAVLIN in Estonia (17-23 May). The UK deployed 80 personnel from the 1st Battalion, the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment under NATO command for a field exercise.
• Exercise BALTOPS in the Baltic Sea (6-21 June). The UK deployed a warship (HMS Montrose) on this NATO maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea.
• Exercise SABRE Strike in Estonia and Latvia (9-20 June). The UK deployed 1 Company from the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (approximately 100 personnel), 12 Artillery and Engineer experts and two exercise controllers to participate in a U.S. Army Europe-led multi-national brigade exercise.
• Exercise RAMSTEIN GUARD in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania and North Atlantic (21-25 July). The UK will send two observers from the Joint Ground Based Air Defence Command based at High Wycombe to assess the UK's ability to support this annual series of NATO Air defence exercises in the future.
• Exercise BALTIC HOST in Baltic States (6-12 Oct 14) The UK will provide staff officers to participate in a tri-national Command Post.
There are also 4 RAF Typhoon aircraft deployed to Lithuania in support of NATO's peacetime Baltic Air Policing mission which will return at the end of August. There are at present no plans to extend these commitments further, as future mission rotations are filled by Allies for the foreseeable future. However, we keep the situation under constant review and any potential future UK participation would be dictated by the regional situation and NATO requirements.