Skip to main content

Marriage Certificates: Mothers

Question for Home Office

UIN 199641, tabled on 9 June 2014

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if she will bring forward legislative proposals to allow mothers' names to be recorded on marriage certificates; if she will bring forward proposals to permit mothers' names to be retrospectively added to existing marriage certificates; and if she will make a statement.

This answer is the replacement for a previous holding answer.

Answered on

26 June 2014

We are currently considering how the information contained in the marriage
entry can be updated to include this, and to reflect changes since the coming
into force of the Regulation of Marriages Regulations 1986, as well as the
most suitable opportunity for doing so.

Answered by

Home Office
Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.